A summary of the achievements of the Ecoisland Partnership CIC from it's launch in April 2011 until summer 2012
We occasionally receive comments from people asking, “what exactly is it that you do?” or “what have you really achieved since your launch a year ago?”. Hopefully this list goes some way to answer those questions. Whilst it certainly does not include everything we have done or all that we have achieved it does give the flavour of what the Ecoisland Partnership CIC is all about.
David Green, Founder / CEO Ecoisland Partnership CIC July 2012
• 5 Global Partners ( Toshiba / Cable&Wireless / IBM / SilverSpring Neworks / Liz Earle ) with one in the wings.
• 5 National Partners ( SSE / Southern Water / ITM Power / Gloucester Composites ) with 3 in the wings.
• 12 Founding Partners ( including many local businesses ).
• 15 Local Partners – with 10 more anticipated.
• 20 Carbon Partners – including some big names you will recognise.
• 5 Knowledge Partners – all of which are Universities.
• 8 Supporting Partners – providing equipment and services FOC.
• 10 New Partners – preparing to come on-board with Ecoisland.
Technical solutions and R+D
• Established the technical solution for a smart grid on the Island.
• Established the technology for an energy from waste plant.
• Established the technology and run working parties with the No.1 provider of Geothermal Power Stations in the World.
• Workshops with Toshiba on grid balancing and systems integration.
• Working with the IOW Council and Southampton University on a Tidal Scheme at Hurst narrows and at St. Catherines at the back of the Island.
• Established a Hydrogen trial to start building a hydrogen society with ITM Power supported by the TSB Hydrogen call.
• Working with Toshiba and ITM Power on energy storage solutions.
• Secured the support of the 5 top hydrogen car manufacturers including Honda, Peugeot, Vauxhaul, BMW and Toyota.
• Working with UCL to run a commercial electric vehicle trial on the Island including electric fork lift trucks, short stop delivery vechicles and tractor units for yard movements of Steve Porters trailers powered by PV.
• We have signed a MOU with Windtronics and South Fabrications to promote small wind turbines on the IOW.
• We are working with Southern Water to help them reduce water consumption on the IOW, reduce their energy footprint, use their methane and potentially place renewable energy technology with their major plant.
• IBM have developed an amazing Intelligent Operating Centre for the IOW in the form of a web based “dashboard” interface that can monitor and record every significant piece of data we wish to monitor on the Island. It will provide the baseline for our project measurement and enable us to see on a minute by minute basis the net energy equation for the IOW. It also enables us to drill down to analyse data on an individual house level.
• We have also developed an Ecoisland “franchise agreement” to enable us to manage the SPV’s for the various energy technologies.
Government support at a Local, National and European level
• Support from the IOW Council in the form of the Leader, Deputy Leader, CEO, Head of Environment, Sustainability Manager and Head of Tourism.
• Global Launch at the House of Commons on 15th November 2011. We took our Ecoisland Charter to Westminster and revealed it to more than 200 guests including many MP’s and members of the House of Lords. We were supported by our Partners who gave speeches about how IOW residents are taking their destiny back into their own hands.
• Oliver Letwin MP Sec State for the Cabinet Office personal endorsement and speech at the House of Commons.
• We chaired a Workshop which Chris Huhne ( Secretary of State for Environment and Climate Change ) attended on 2nd August.
• Met with Charles Hendry, Minister of State for Energy.
• We have had Ecoisland Parliamentary Debates and Minsters Questions.
• Investor Day at the House of Commons on 15th May 2012.
• Visit to Ecoisland HUB from Shadow Energy & Climate Change Secretary Caroline Flint MP on Wednesday 1st August 2012.
• Congratulations by letter from the Prime Minister in 10 Downing Street.
Ecoisland Brand and public awareness
• 10 bus backs on the Island with Southern Vectis ( worth about £7k ).
• Ecoisland Promo DVD on the website and on all Wightlink Ferries.
• Banners up at events and permanent ones at the Ferry ports.
• Logo on the front page of the County Press for 6 months.
• Flags / letterheads / comp slips / business cards / stickers / tattoos.
• Ecoisland branded Jackets, T-shirts and some wooden USB sticks.
• Some companies using the Ecoisland logo / name in their advertising.
• Ecoisland Video on IOW Festival Main Screens for a total of 35 minutes.
Events and Community engagement
• We have created the EcoMobile with its awning and solar array feeding an inverter and 12v system that can demonstrate “off grid” technology.
• We have taken it to 30 IOW Events since we started including Chale Show, IOW County Show, Bestival ( where we charged 800 mobile phones ), IOW Festival, Camp Bestival ( in Dorset ), Folkstation, Cycling Festival, Wolverton Manor, Appledays, Cowes Co-op, Freshwater Co-op, Party in the Park, Young Chamber at Robin Hill, the Garden Show at Robin Hill, Cowes Week, Rhythm Tree, Walking Festival, Vestas official opening and the Wight Salads open day.
• We also sponsored and attended a Cycle Event in Newport.
• We plan to visit all IOW Primary and Secondary Schools this spring.
• 6 Greentank Community Meetings in the year with a range of speakers on a vast array of subject areas.
• 6 Advisory Team meetings in the year.
• We have organised a series of 12 Community Beach Cleans working with one of our Founding Partners, Vikoma. They have cleared <3 tonnes of rubbish including an old boat and involved more than 200 volunteers
• Our Ecoisland Charter was launched full page in the County Press.
• We have developed a scheme for visiting SME’s on the Island and providing them with an initial energy audit and energy advice.
• We have conducted a large number of surveys at events and more recently have been using the Salesforce engine to conduct online polls.
Seminars and Presentations
We have done a range of talks this year around the Island and as far afield as Europe providing information and inspiration on sustainable living including:
• EU Power Programme Conference ( Brussels ).
• IBM Start ( London ).
• IBM Interconnect - IT Architects ( London ).
• Climate Change Workshop ( Portsmouth University ).
• Technology Strategy Board – Smart Grid Workshop ( London ).
• Technology Strategy Board – Hydrogen Conference ( London ).
• All Energy Conference – in Aberdeen.
• WINaCC – to 80 Eco enthusiasts in Winchester.
• Silicon Beach – green dragons den in Poole.
• Sustainable Solent – 80 or so green companies in Southampton.
• Institute of Architects at Ventnor on the IOW.
• Café Scientific – a group of 70 or so scientists on the IOW.
• Parish Councils and WI groups on the IOW.
• A meeting of all the IOW Trade Unions.
• About 50 presentations to corporate organizations and SME’s.
News / Press and communications
• £500k worth of PR since the launch in April 2012 without a PR company.
• We are working on the Sustainability Guide – which will be out shortly.
• 2-page article in the New Statesman and a mention on other pages.
• Article in the Economist.
• Major article in Readers Digest in March 2012 ( 500,00 readers ).
• Guardian article on IOW big wind debate.
• Financial Times Weekend Home – full front page of the Home section.
• Double page and single page spread in the Island Business Magazine.
• Marie Claire article, which may now be sold to other publications.
• Major article in E&T Magazine and Sun and Wind Energy Magazine.
• We have hosted a number of Journalists visits to the Island.
• 2 Page Article in Island Style Magazine on the EcoHome.
• Community content on our EcoTV.me site along with all the HoC talks.
• The County Press has been running Ecoisland stories almost every week reaching 92% of the population. We have just agreed to provide content for the 4 Green on Wight pages once a month.
Awards and International Recognition
• Winner of the National Climate Week Award for Community Initiatives.
• CEO David Green awarded Sustainable Executive of the Year 2012.
• CEO David Green made Team Green Britain Hero.
• CEO David Green became a Sustainability Ambassador for the Olympic Games with a 4 minute video on the sustainability of the games on the Team Green Britain Website www.teamgreenbritain.org
Project Developments with National Partner SSE
• SSE have agreed to pay for 10 charging points on the Isle of Wight. The first one has been installed at the HUB in Newport and the IOW Council have agreed to place a number of them in their car-parks making the parking spaces FREE to those that use them for charging.
• SSE offered financial and staff support for the IOW Festival. We achieved 6.25 million timeline showings on Twitter and nearly 3,000 Facebook viewings plus 35 minutes of Main Screen Time for the Ecoisland Promo Video. We also had about 1,000 interactions at our EcoMobile and ran a 12 person team to promote the concept of Community Energy.
• In August 2012 we will be launching Ecoisland Community Energy powered by SSE which gives money back to customers and a small % to the CIC for Community Projects.
• SSE are going to be working with us on a Home Energy Trial with more than 1,000 houses being offered a special “box of tricks” that can help you save money in the home linked to an energy “game” where points mean prizes and incentives for shifting “off peak”.
• 10 Homes will be selected for Advanced Home Energy Installations with a range of white goods linked to the “box of tricks” demonstrating home demand side management and further energy reductions.
• We are working with SSE and Liberty Group on a Green Deal roll-out.
• We are working with SSE on the roll-out of their Eco Measures which could put 10’s of millions of sustainability measures into hard to fit homes.
• SSE have also offered us £1m to invest in some new wind technologies as a trial to see what we can learn about the alternatives to big wind.
Alternative Transport Trials
• David Green has been driving a Honda Insight Hybrid for 2 ½ years and has been achieving 65 miles to the gallon on the Island.
• Our EcoMobile VW camper is capable of running on BioEthanol but current regulations will not allow us to ship it to the Island via the ferries.
• As part of the offer for the Team Green Britain Heroes Campaign David Green trialled the BMW Mini E proving conclusively that you can run an EV on pure green energy as he charged the car from the solar panels on his home taking NO energy from the grid at all – still using the car every day to get to work and collect VIP’s.
• Toyota have come on board as a National Partner and have supplied a Plug-in Prius which is capable of 136 mpg.
• We have been offering local businesses the chance to trial the Mia Van and Mia Car which are Pure EV’s and have a range of 75 miles. We are in a position to sell these from September onwards.
• We have been promoting Acxess Electric bikes with demonstration events, bikes available at the IOW Festival, one available for trials at the HUB. We have plans through our Ecoisland Trust to put more of these at the ferry terminals and key locations on the Island.
£4.66m ITM Power + Technology Strategy Board funding for H2
• ITM Power are providing a Hydrogen generator.
• ITM Power are providing a 100kg Hydrogen Refuler.
• IBM are providing the smart data management.
• Toshiba are providing some of the grid balancing.
• Cable&Wireless Worldwide are providing smart communications.
• Ecoisland will be running the refueler on the Island.
• The refueler will be powered by renewable energy – making this the first real GREEN fuel.
• Cheetah Marine will be having a 15kg hydrogen refueler as well powered by Solar PV that Ecoisland has helped sort which will be powering a Hydrogen Boat which is the first of its kind in Britain.
• 10 Commercial Hydrogen Vehicles – Ford Transits being bought by a range of companies who are working on the Island ( incl. SSE / S.Water ).
• 8 Hydrogen cars provided by Hyundai / Riversimple / MicroCab and other major car manufacturers.
• Ecoisland will be running an Alternative Fuel Club for Island residents and visitors who want to trial the new technology.
SME Seminar March 2012
• Working with the IOW Chamber of Commerce we helped to host a small business advisory seminar the first half of which focused on Energy.
• Presentations we given by SSE / CCW / Toshiba / Gloucester Composites / Ecoisland and the Elutions Solutions.
• 190 companies attended the event and many expressed interest.
• Ecoisland launched their full offer to SMEs
IBM Intelligent Operations Center
• IBM our Global Information Technology Partner have been working for nearly 6 months now to develop an Intelligent Operations Center for Ecoisland.
• They have done all of this without a penny of funding from Ecoisland and at retail the software and licence is probably worth about £200k.
• The system is in our hands now and is “live” and outputs to a “dashboard” with all the Key Performance Indicators on display.
• The system can show the total energy into the Island from SSE / the gas from Scotia Gas / the water from Southern Water / fuel from Vectis Fuels / generation capacity from all our technologies / info from sustainable houses i.e. Chale / the Eco ShowHome.
• It can go on to track transport / show comparisons between renewable and fossil fuel generation / it might even be able to track food.
• We have three companies talking about providing display screens for the ferry terminals / central areas of the island so we can all see how we are measuring up against our targets.
• The other Ecoislands attracted to our Global Summit may also have copies of this that will then provide us with aggregated global data.
• We can continually add new data streams to the IOC as they come online.
Inward Investment and Funding for our Bigger Schemes
• We worked for 3 months to prepare a 32 page Investor Prospectus with the “distilled” vision of the Ecoisland Energy System.
• We have secured £650k worth of pro bono modelling from KPMG.
• We spent 2 months on the phone and with emails building the interest in our Investor Day at the House of Commons.
• With thanks to Andrew Turner MP we welcomed more than 30 potential investors to our Investor Day on 15th May 2012.
• We delivered an awesome day – resulting in serious interest being shown by more than 10 of the companies and individuals who attended.
• We are now proceeding through the final stages of diligence to land the funding that we need to roll our plans on the IOW.
• We have put an enormous amount of effort into raising these funds and now that it looks like being successful we are in a position to move our major project timeline forwards.
Global Summit 16th / 17th October 2012
• We have secured funding from IBM and Cable&Wireless Worldwide for a 2-day Ecoislands Summit in October this year at the Cowes Yacht Haven.
• Work has been underway for 3 months and the event is now well defined.
• The event will be hosted by Nisha Pillai (former BBC World News anchor)
• There will be more than 20 Islands attending from around the world along with 10 regions around the UK.
• They will be signing the Ecoislands Accord which will commit them to a series of carbon savings in their Islands / regions proving that sometimes it’s the smallest places that can make the biggest contribution to change.
• We will have a Minister speaking at the Event.
• We will have the first curtailment of the smart grid on that day.
• We will have a major internal exhibition area for local companies.
• We will have an external exhibition area with the ITM Power H2 refeuler and a number of alternative fuel vehicles.
• Noonan Media will be outputting the Summit to more than 10,000 online audience and providing a fully fledged TV platform for ECOTV.
• With more than 100 media in attendance and over 500 delegates in the room this will seal the Islands position as the Global Leader of Sustainable Communities Worldwide.
£36k LEAF Funding for Home Energy Assessors
• We were successful in securing some LEAF funding.
• Working with Parity Projects we trained 5 home energy assessors.
• We also provide 30 FREE home energy assessments to Island Residents.
• We have developed a range of starter kits that would suit a small private allotment / a larger community growing space / a major allotment facility.
• We have found a partner to support supplies of seeds / tools.
• We have been working with 2 other island Trusts to channel their funds.
• Southern Housing Group have provided some significant trenches of land.
• The IOW Council are talking to us about providing other land.
• Working with the Hampshire and IOW Trust we have set up the Ecoisland Trust to provide a charitable vehicle for funding IOW projects.
• We have some funds already allocated from a Solar PV Scheme provided by Joshua Matthews from Solar and Renewables.
• When the Ecoisland Energy Service Company starts generating revenues the Trust will be able to provide a vehicle for distributing funds.
• We have been working with the Cowes Enterprise College to work Eco-Content into their curriculum.
• We have been working with the IOW College to develop a range of training programmes – building towards Home Energy Assessor training / training for MCS accreditations / training for a whole range of renewables.
• We are running a Solar Vehicle Workshop with a number of schools in September in conjunction with Keno a former pupil of Ryde School who is now at Cambridge University. They are bringing a solar car which has done more than 3,000 miles without a recharge in Australia PLUS a new concept solar car – not seen before in the UK.
Solar PV for Social Housing
• We have been working with all four housing associations on the IOW to put a range of renewable energy technologies including solar PV and air source heat pumps into a number of their houses.
• The total HA housing stock on the Island approaches 5,000 houses and if the scheme progresses on the scale that we have planed it will be the largest residential Solar PV scheme in Britain.
• We have an SPV that will deliver this scheme and an installation company who have been ready to go on this since 1st November 2011.
• Unfortunately the Governments change in the tariff in November ( which has since been ruled unlawful ) de-railed this scheme. We are working on some new models to progress this scheme.
Commercial Solar PV Scheme
• We have a scheme up and running with SME’s on the Island that can place up to 250kW of Solar PV on their roofs.
• The SME’s would get the benefit of the FREE electricity when the sun is shining and the FIT’s were to be used to pay back the investors.
• We have three schemes already installed and generating energy but a bigger scheme at the St Cross Business Park hit another tariff deadline and got postponed.
• We have a new scheme developed with an independent funder which will put a number of funded sustainability measures into a business premises and recover the cost of them over a period of energy savings on their bills.
Eco Show Home
• Competed the Eco Show Home where people can come and assess the value of renewable energy in a working installation.
• Won a Conservation Award for the IOW for the old part of the house.
• Won a regional RIBA Sustainability Award for the new part.
• It was granted “SuperHome” status by the Sustainable Energy Academy.
• Have had an average of 50 people a month viewing the GREENhouse.
Eco Business Park
• The HUB of Ecoisland and our offices are at the St Cross Business Park.
• We are working with MJH Developments to make this an Eco Business Park with a range of renewable energies, some growing spaces, potential energy storage and major energy security for the businesses there.
• With more than 30,000 sq meters of roof space and a number of buildings yet to fill – this is the ideal scenario for some GREEN business start-ups and a range of technology companies to join the likes of Vestas and Gurit who are already there.
• Cable&Wireless Worldwide have agreed to put the first demonstration of a Smart Grid in at the St Cross Business Park at their cost. This will link to the solar PV / windtronics / hydrogen refueler and become part of our demand side management system.
• We have found our first sponsor for the Eco-Center which is contributing to the seed funding.
• We have received a great deal of encouragement and top advice from the Eden Project in Cornwall.
• We have progressed our plans significantly with timelines / content / some design parameters and architects input.
• We have also identified the ideal location for this in the Center of IOW.
• We have also analysed the business case and believe it could bring 300,000 people to the Island every year.
Major Project Developments
• We now have a Technical Design Authority of 16 members who includes some of the top minds in renewable energy in the world.
• We have developed the design specification.
• We have developed the timeline for all the projects.
• We are progressing with the smart grid cell.
• We are actively pursuing all the identified technologies.
• We are working with a number of technology companies to provide the technical and data solutions for the integration of all our projects.
• We have secured some JV Partners for key projects.
• We are now forming the legal and finance structure for all the SPV’s - which is being done pro-bono by our Global Investment Advisor.
• We are in discussion on the planning issues surrounding some of the key technologies and preparing bid documents for those that are relevant.
Website and Social Media
• We have launched the website and developed a whole range of communications channels to facilitate shared knowledge and information.
• Friday 24th June saw the launch of the BLOG http://www.eco-island/hub/blog
• We have Ecopedia for Eco Know How http://www.eco-island.org/hub/ecopedia
• We have launched the Eco Forum on http://www.eco-island/hub/ecoforum
• We have 1700 followers and +3,600 tweets on Twitter @ecoislandhub
• We have +500 friends on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ecoisle
• EEK has 614 Facebook friends http://www.facebook.com/iamEek?ref=ts
• We have also created an online Newspaper via Paper.li that provides a daily smorgasbord of news and information about all things eco-island.
• We are now building our GooglePLUS profile.
• We have had a large number of BLOGs on other sites.
• We have put a number of Newsletters out throughout the year.
• We have had more than 60,000 page views since our launch.
• We come up No.1 now in an Ecoisland search on Google.
• We launched the GREENback card and have more than 80 companies on-board providing discounts on a range of green products and services.
• We built the Salesforce software engine to run the card and a website portal where the details of the scheme are carried and people can sign up.
• It is now the “Respect Ticket” for the IOW Festival with all the profile and publicity that entails – giving rise to a special limited edition card.
• We have gained 1,800 GREENback card holders in 15 months.
• We are developing a scheme where the GREENback card will go SMART in Sept with the addition of a chip enabling it to act like and Oyster card and carry credit on it to be used on transport + other merchant schemes.
• We are talking to a number of mainland travel companies to extend its range and help to promote carless travel to the IOW Festival in 2013.
Other Funky stuff
• We have started developing an online game that is played out in the real world with cool green activity being rewarded with points that mean prizes.
• We have been working with the Co-op to develop their food HUB which collects food from local producers and distributes it to shops and hotels.
• We are working with the Met Office on an application that can predict the performance of Solar PV using a range of advanced sensory systems.
• We have established an Eco Pub at the Sun Inn at Hulverstone.
• We are now employing 6 people at the HUB including Rosie Saxcoburg who is an Apprentice who came to us via HTP on the IOW.
• Framestore who did the CGI for Dobby in Harry Potter / War Horse / the Polar Bears for Coco Cola at the Super-bowl and the new info-graphic for the London Stock Exchange have said that they will help to animate EEK and our funky new Ecoisland Logo.
• Sir Bob Geldof did a brilliant piece for our IOW Festival video.
• The Limited Edition Ecoisland Festival T-shirt designed by Neil McCall and produced by Rapa Nui on the Island became a collectors item.
• We have been approached by 7 regions throughout the UK all seeking to learn from us about the Partnership approach and the technology solution.
• When the whole Ecoisland Vision is realised it will create more than 400 jobs on the IOW.
• We have two IOW Dragons made out of recycled materials by local sculptor Glenn Martin they are called Chalky + Dougal + run on Solar PV.
• Derek Sandy ( Ecoisland Ambassador ) is writing a new Ecoisland song.
• We are working with Island Ales and are developing an Ecoisland Beer.
• We have sponsored a local mum on a permaculture course.
• We are now promoting drop-in sessions at the office for the Community.
• We are working with Gloucester Composites on rainwater harvesting.
• We generated £275k of income in our first year and showed a small profit of £22k – not bad for a new start-up.
• We have benefited from more than £1.5m worth of pro-bono support already ( legals / KPMG finance model / IBM IOC + input from Andy SC / Toshiba / CWW smart grid ).